We are trying something new for Tot School for a little bit!
There are these Topic Totes for Tots at our Public Library here and our first Tote was so much fun, it is a hit.
We can check these totes out for 3 weeks, with no renewals. So this unit took 3 weeks to complete.
We picked Transportation this time!
And we are focusing on the letter C.
In the tote there is 10 books and 1 activity sheet.
The books are great...the activity sheet, not so much! But when I did tot school before, finding the books was the hardest part! So this works out great! Plus, I love looking around and finding some activities for Ryken to do along with what we already have at home!
Doing the Transportation shape puzzles.
Finding all the upper and lower case letter C's. This was a huge hit. He kept wanting to do it!
We have a transportation puzzle that makes the noise of the car, truck, boat,when you put the pieces in. We finally put batteries in here, so this is his face when he heard the noises! So cool!
I found this Alphabet Car Game...and changed it to fit Ryken's level. He did great with matching the colors and he even told me what they were when he picked the next one! That was great to hear! When he is focused he does great! The letters and numbers were a challenge, which I expected them to be!
We changed a Sight word parking lot into things that we could use. Colors, shapes, numbers and the letter C!
Went to the airport for lunch!
Ryken loved giving his cars a car wash!!! He has asked to do it more than once!
We even went to a car dealership while learning about transportation and Ryken got to go into some brand new cars!
I came across these Printable Transportation Count Clip Cards which were perfect. They go to 20...but we only used numbers 1-10. Ryken had a difficult time with the clothes pins. But he liked counting the images.
We went through the car wash!!
While in Duluth, we saw lots of transpiration things:
Road on a train, saw boats and ships and planes and helicoptors.
Saw this idea of a little science experiment.
Have the cars go down on different textures and see if they go down the ramp faster or slower on certain ones. We just used saran wrap, cardboard, and sand paper. We didn't noticed any difference! :) haha! But he liked feeling the different textures and the ramp!
We did a alphabet tunnel and also numbers 1-10.
Ryken thinks 2 comes after the number 5. But then he goes on to say 7,8,9,10...so we are working on 6.
Sorting transpiration into the sky, sea and road was a bit hit. He got it right and kept wanting to do it! background and pieces
I came across these transportation spelling cards, but the link to print them wasn't allowed anymore...so I made our own!
We didn't have enough capital letters to use with this, but Ryken did surprisingly well with the mixture of upper and lower case!
We worked on trying the ones that we knew first...instead of just guessing. Then go back to the ones that we didn't know and it might be more obvious.
We graphed our cars by color and then counted each line!
Ryken's first try with scissors. It was very hard for him. It is a lot to think about to get them to work. So instead of Ryken cutting the pieces for our spot light, mom did.
We looked at a picture of a spot light on line and I asked him if the red goes on the top, middle or bottom? Then same with Yellow and Green! He enjoyed sticking the pieces of paper to the glue...but didn't want to get the glue on him. Earlier in the week, I told him what red and green means and he picked it up right away. When we are driving he will saw, "We waiting for green, mommy?". It was fun that he looks and noticed what is going on!
Came across this Truck Pattern Pack and thought it would add a new skill. Patterns are a challenge for Ryken, but he did get a few of them. I spoke the pattern, which seemed to help!
We made a chalk town and boy was this one of the favorite activities from the whole unit! He would have stayed out all evening to play! He liked driving along the road and parking the cars!




















I love ALL of these ideas. It makes me want to do them now with Jace…. but I also know that these skill levels are beyond him I think for now. :) I will have to look at this lesson again in the future! It looks like Ryken had a blast! Great idea to make a chalk outline outside for the cars. I may try that for Jace sometime soon!
ReplyDeleteHow awesome that your library does that. That is simply wonderful!! So many great ideas and looks like a lot of fun. Love how you tied in so many areas of learning---a true teacher you are! :) raelynn can do the big clothespins but Declan always breaks them....I found he can do the smaller ones, they are about 3 inches long. Maybe that would help Ryken!
ReplyDeleteI will try the small clothespins too. I didn't even think of those! Thanks for the tip!
DeleteWow! I wish our library was as cool and helpful as yours with those tot school boxes! That is so so cool! I also LOVE the creativity you have in planning these activities, And I bet Ryken loved this unit so much since when I was there most of what he wanted to do was stuff involving cars and airplanes, etc. So much fun!
ReplyDeleteSo fun!! I love your creativity, Ally! Such a fun idea to take him to a car dealership, to go see ships, boats, go through a car wash, see trains...! I love it!
ReplyDeleteWhat GREAT ideas!! how fun!!!!
ReplyDelete