Sunday, August 3, 2014

Tot School: White

White was a fun unit!! 

Sheep are white!
We made a Sticky Sheep.
We pointed out and talked about the body parts of the sheep before we added the fur.
He got really into it. He had a blast. When Chris got home he told him about his sheep right away!

Since you count sheep when you can't fall asleep, we counted sheep that were hiding in the layers of pillows. 
Ryken helped me match up mini white marshmallows to the number on the sheep card. 

Rice is White!
Rice sensory bin.
He was supposed to put the number puzzle after finding the numbers in the rice...but that didn't seem to interest him at all. 
What did interest him, was using his digger to put rice in his little dump truck. 
Marshmallows are white too, so we made some rice krispie treats!
Sampling a marshmallow.
He loved throwing the marshmallows in the pot.
The cereal was fun too pour in too. 
He was a good helper at pushing down the krispies in the dish.
And you bet he enjoyed eating them too. We all did! 

Teeth are White!
Putting toothbrushes in order. Big to small.
Matching words to pictures.
I read the word and he put it on the picture. 
Laminated a smile and Ryken brushed the teeth!

We brushed our teeth together. He kept looking in the mirror...
So, I got some good Ryken faces captured during this time. Love them! Love him!



Ryken brushed teeth that had "plaque" on them!
Smaller teeth, laminated and used dry erase marker as the plaque.

What's good for our teeth and what's not sort activity.
He had trouble sorting these...but was excited when he saw fruit and veggies that he likes in the pictures.

Filling a mouth with teeth (mini marshmallows). He was very anal with this activity. 

Clouds are White!
Went outside and looked at the clouds and tried to find shapes in them!
This is a shark or a fish.
This is a bear head.
I did this activity in college, from Eric Carles book "Little Cloud" and all. I have remembered it and was finally excited to do it with my own kid.
White blog of paint in the middle of a paper. 
Fold it over and press down. 
Open up and see what you see! Use your imagination. 
He loved the whole process. He even did pretty good with coming up with ideas of what the "clouds" looked like. Lots of tree's! :)
We counted clouds! When he was focused, he did great at this. 
Made some Cloud Dough.
Ryken liked the feeling of it and thought it was neat that objects could keep their shape.
I put 5 little white squares in the dough that had letters on them that spelt cloud. Then had a paper for him to match up the letters once he found them. 
I was pleasantly surprised that he knew where to put them all!
We blew clouds back and forth to each other...although he covered the table in spit! :)
Then he made cloud soup!
A cute story:
I had to go put Sorraya down for a nap and when I came down, he had a bowl for himself, me and a third person (Raya or daddy). Then a straw as a utensil. He set the table. And when I sat down he prayed for our "food". I loved it! 
This is pretty neat. Whoever accidentally figured this out, I thank! 
Put Ivory soap in the microwave for 2 minutes. 
(the directions say it has to be Ivory soap)

About 30 seconds in, it will start to cloud up! 
And just gets bigger and bigger! 
There you have it...a HUGE cloud from a bar of soap. Ryken loved watching it grow.
I let him play with the soap afterwards, but that lasted about 5 minutes. 

Moon is White!
We made moon cakes from one of the books that we read.
They were basically sugar cookies. 
But next time, I will just use our favorite sugar cookie recipe, instead of the books! :)
We took the moon for a walk!!!! 
Cute story:
I got the balloon on the stroller and the kids get in the stroller and as I am finishing up buckling them in, I hear the neighbor boy say "oh, it's his birthday!". So as we start out our walk, the boy yells Happy Birthday! :) I didn't burst his bubble, cause it was sweet! :)
Ryken did a good job of keeping the balloons up so they wouldn't touch the grass and pop!
By the time we turned around to walk home, (after playing in the grass field that we walked to for a bit) we had lost both balloons to the evil grass! 
And while we were learning about white, Ryken got a baseball at his first baseball game.
One of the books we had read had pictures of a baseball, which he already liked, and then they just got all the more fun after the game and getting his own.

I am happy to say, that this is the first color that Ryken learned during the actual time of learning a specific color!!
He will see things and point out that they are white all on his own! YAY!

Not sure what we will do next or when! :)




3 comments:

  1. That is alot of FUN and a alot of WHITE! I am doing white next with Ember too ... so I may have to steel something! I am a little upset that the Brown Bear book has a White DOG instead of a white SHEEP. A sheep would be alot more fun with all those cotton balls. Maybe we can make a white dog out of cotton balls :) Hee hee! Such fun activities and it looks like Ryken loved it all! And yay for him figuring out the color during the week you are talking about it! That makes it all the more fun and worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Loads of fun! How long did it all take you? Glad you are labeling these so I can go back for the ideas as needed:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast! It took about a month, as we were not rushing through things and we had a terrible time getting the books! The Library was really slow on a lot of them!

      Delete