I have never liked the big mound of plastic bags in a cabinet or in the pantry.
A few years ago I saw this trick online and figured I would try to use it.
1. Start with your big mound of plastic bags!
2. Take each out and flatten them out, pushing the air out - leaving them like how you would find them in the store unused.
3. Fold in half, laying handles on top of each other and push air out again.
4. I flattened and folded a bunch of bags before I started rolling any.
5. Piled them up in amounts of 24-25. This is a perfect amount that easily fits into the container later.
6. Overlap the handles onto the previous bag. Lining them up in small amounts as you go.
7. Hold the first bag's handles upward. This will be the middle and the first bag that you pull out leaving all the bags connected to this one.
8. Tightly roll up our bags tucking in the handles as they come up.
9. I noticed an issue with bulging bags from air in them still. When they get like this, sometimes pressure just fixes it, other times, I just use my nails and pinch a tiny little hole in the bag which allows the air to escape. Then keep rolling.
10. After you have rolled all bags up, you are ready to put them into the container. Notice that they roll is not even that big with all those bags.
11. I used to use Lysol wipes so I had a few containers empty.
Slip in the roll of wipes.
12. I learned that the normal lid with no modifications would ripe the bags as you pulled them out. So I pulled off the top of the wipes container that the wipes usually are pulled through, leaving a much bigger circle for the bags to come through without being ripped.
13. Feed the plastic bag that is sticking out through the hole in the lid and snap the lid on.
There you have it. A pile of plastic bags in a nice roll.
Here is the Original Post that I learned how to do it from.
You could also, put your choice of contact paper around the container to make it look for pretty! :)
This is a great way to keep plastic bag in the car that takes up very little space.
I keep one of these containers in each of the kids closet and use the bags in their diaper trashcan... along with one in the linen closet for the bathroom trash cans. I would always forget to bring a bag up and this way, they are closer and more where I use them anyways.
It is time consuming at first...but really is worth it. Then you can use the space where the mound of plastic bags were for something else! :)


Very clever! The initial work seems like a lot but I bet it is worth it in the long run! Way to be practical and try something new!
ReplyDelete