We start each day out with a book.
Here Ryken is using do-a-dot markers to color 2 small paper plates.
He did it himself many times. It was hard to flip his hand over all the way that he needed to to get the perfect circle...but he got the idea and did great!
Mom put the two plates together and filled it with chow mien noodles (haha) and we made a circle shaker. He enjoyed shaking it, which is figured he would, he loves anything related to music.
(Don't you love his outfit! :)
Then we matched big and little circles with cookie cutters, pipe cleaners and tupperware.
He put them on the right size right away! Then ate the pipe cleaners!
We painted with foam cups and made big and little circles.
He also, did pretty good with this activity.
Ryken's masterpiece!
I cut little and big circles out and put double sided tape on the back of them and had Ryken put them in or around the circle on the paper.
He did much better with these circles than he has with sticker stickers...so that was fun to see!
I love the imperfection of his work! That is how it is supposed to be, let him do it his way!
I had printed out a Do-a-dot circle page and had Ryken put pom poms on the circles inside.
At one point he did 4 in a row!
Of course we had to blow bubbles too!
I planned this day to be on Tuesday, because I knew swim lessons started up again and we would need a bath. So we learned about bubbles in the air, and then in the bathtub as well.
We added a few more circles to the tub as well.
Foam circles that stick to the tub when wet. They also can stain the tub, so take them down and don't leave them on till next bath time. Lesson learned.
Balloons were added.
Pool noodles cut up into little rings.
And he already had stackable cups that are meant for the tub.
Ryken started stacking the pool noodles!
Notice, we found a circle under the water spout and he put a blue foam circle on it.
He enjoyed the circle bathtub time for sure.
We pushed our circle shape into play dough.
Ryken really didn't care for this. This was his first time with play dough too.
He tried to eat some play dough, decided it didn't taste good, and really wanted nothing to do with it then! :)
So we put the play dough away and just stacked the circle containers instead!
I love how his left hand is always so concentrated.
Ryken doesn't use a spoon yet.
So this was a two fold activity.
Learn how to control spoon and scooping as well as putting pom poms into the circles in the muffin tin!
It didn't go over very well. More time needs to be spent with the spoon!
Found this Do-a-dot for the letter C and thought it was fitting with our book.
He was to put the buttons on the circles on the page.
Like the pom poms earlier in the week, he did pretty good!
Then we made a caterpillar with circle scrapbook paper! He was ready for a break and was just slapping them on! But we made a caterpillar, so done and done!
Friday, the last day will always (that's the plan anyhow) to cook or bake something related to the theme of the week.
So this week after reading Round is a Pancake...we made Pancakes!
Ryken enjoyed standing on the chair and being able to hold the spoon and move the batter around.
He watched mommy as she made the circles with the batter in the pan!
Then we ate our circle pancakes with circle blueberries and circle bananas! You can bet that was a hit. Ryken would eat fruit all. day. long!
We practiced putting out circle soccer ball in the circle container. Tried kicking, but he would rather throw it in.
We tried stringing pool noodle rings, but I only had this flimsy twine and that was very hard. But he gave it a good try, no doubt!
So we went to stacking the pool noodles...he likes to stack things!
So that was circles week!
I heard him try to say circle a few times and when asked to pick up the circle shape, he did. So that was encouraging! I kept my expectations low, just so I didn't get discouraged. But that was a good start to the first week of Tot School!
Next week is Squares!




You are so creative, Ally!!! I love all of your ideas for Ryken and it looks like he did AMAZING with them! Way to go!! I love the idea of putting pom poms and buttons on circles... I'll have to try that with Blake!! Can't wait to see more of your ideas and activities that you do with Ryken so I can use them with Blake! ;)
ReplyDeleteThat's what teachers do, right?? Share ideas?!?! :)
DeleteFor sure! I'll be sure to pass my ideas along to you as well! :)
DeleteSooo glad you are,documenting this for us to see:) so fun to see a person I actually know! :) lol
ReplyDeleteThat is how I thought about seeing what you were doing with Raelynn! You actually feel like you can ask questions! :)
DeleteGreat job Mommy/teacher! Good job putting your teaching degree to use! And way to start off with a bang! You did so much with circles. It looks like so much fun! I bet Ryken will look forward to Tot School with you making it so FUN! I wanna go to Tot School :)
ReplyDeleteP.S. Dustin just read "The Dot" book to Ember today before her nap!
ReplyDeleteAlly, Al just told me about your blog specifically for getting ideas about teaching shapes. I must say - amazing! I have found it hard to find good things out there related to shapes, so thank you for posting! We will be copying soon :-)
ReplyDeleteLooking back at these!! Going to start some things soon!!
ReplyDelete