Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Marching Band

So, at Chris' parents house, they live close by a middle school who practices there marching band around the neighborhood and our nephew watches it. How fun right?
That's what I thought too!
So back in early July, I e-mailed all the middle schools and high schools in Fargo/West Fargo to see if any had one and practiced outside. None did. But a couple said to contact NDSU's (North Dakota State University) band teacher. So I did and he was more than open to have us come and watch.
They started practicing at the end of August every M W and F for an hour and a half. 
Due to us being busy, it being wet or other hinderances we just got around to going this week!
Ellen, the older lady at our church who had given Ryken the big penguin, also gave Ryken this marching band bear a few months ago. He didn't know what it was, so we watched a bunch of marching bands on YouTube and he loved them. He walks around the house and stomps and sings "marching band, marching band...". So I knew he would love it!

Ryken excited to go with his marching band bear!
When the music played, he would just stop what he was doing and stand still and stare!
A great attention grabber and keeper!
 The man on that stand is who I was talking to through e-mails! We never met that day.
But half way through our time there, he did a shout out to us!
He had a microphone so everyone could hear him, and he told the band that we have a special visitor today. He has been waiting all summer to come and hear the marching band. He had the marching band turn around and say Hi to us! Ryken just smiled when they did. And later he talked about how all the "kids" said hi to him! :) 
 We had a good view of the flag dancers!
 What a fun day!!!
 Glad it worked out to go, and we hope to go at least once more.
Chris said we might be able to go to an actual football game to hear and see them live!
(Rachel came too, and took our picture! Thanks)
Also, after we came, Mr. Johnson e-mailed me and asked if Ryken enjoyed it.
I told him yes, and sent him the picture of Ryken with the marching band bear. 
He asked if he could post the picture and my note to him on the Gold Star Marching Band Facebook page! 
I checked it out first and it looked friendly, and it is, so I said go for it!
The picture got 53 likes already and it hasn't even been up for 24 hours! :) 




3 comments:

  1. Now that is the cutest, most fun thing EVER!! What a fun experience for all of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that is SO fun! What a great memory, and how nice of the man to give a shout out to Ryken! I'm sure he loved it! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to put some research in to find something so fun! Maybe Ryken will be a soccer player AND a marching band member when he grows up :) Hee hee! Great story!

    ReplyDelete